Saturday, January 8, 2011

Birds Before Snow


Jan. 8, 2011 My first entry

The hooded mergansers have returned to the pond. I look forward to their short winter visits. The shyness of the birds, which have a tendency to hide on the far side of the pond, has kept me from taking any superior pictures! Although, I keep trying. The picture included here is from www.audubon.com. just so you know how handsome these birds are.

This morning's short snow burst brought about a feeding frenzy at my four bird feeders. At one time, I counted at least 35 birds in the yard. The leafless crape myrtle makes a great spot for the bluebirds, purple and gold finches, wrens, snowbirds and cardinals to perch while awaiting their respective turns at the feeders. Those who just can not wait have descended to the yard and have been searching through the dead leaves and long grasses for dropped viable seed. Their antics are just so cute and loved by the inside cat, Na'vi. The largest of the visitors by far are the blue jays. They get their own food--peanuts. They are so funny to watch as they "weigh" and "measure" each peanut before deciding which one to take first! I have adopted the same technique when choosing my freshly baked mini-muffins -- I eat the largest one first! I am head out to scout the eagle's nesting area. It is soon time for them to arrive. It is a highlight of the winter season on the edge of Greensboro, NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment