Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Treachery in Ice

January 11, 2011

While the ice is treacherous outside, I have the luxury of enjoying the view from inside. The bluebirds are the stars this morning. They have their feathers all puffed up so they look like penguins! I managed to capture this picture just before Na'vi, the wild cat, pounced at the window to "catch" the bird. She was sorely disappointed and is now catnapping. This is good for me since there are so many birds wanting to eat this morning. I have already filled the open feeders twice. The closed feeders are locked up in ice. The birds obviously don't mind because thirty or so are here - finches of all sorts including goldfinches, tufted titmouse, chickadees, juncos, wrens,bluebirds, blue jays, and cardinals.

I finally had to concede to walking the pup. There was freezing mist and drizzle but I "puffed"up just like I had seen my bluebirds do earlier and out Sierra, malamute, and I went. Again we headed toward the pond with duck food in tow and a dog cookie too! To my delight, we were serenaded by a beautiful red-bellied woodpecker. I am hopeful that it will find the suet I have in the backyard! The middle of the pond is ice free but the edges are not so the ducks had to "skate" for their food this morning. It was humorous to watch as they slipped and slid to get bites of corn and bread! As they tried to catch the corn, it would slide just beyond their reach. They never gave up though which is a great lesson to us all!
Happy birding, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Reading these entries into your blog remind me of the PBS series, Alone in the Wilderness, the story of Dick Proenneke's life in the Alaskan wilderness! June, you have missed your calling-- WRITE A BOOK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. I have had that in mind for awhile just can't seem to get around to it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete