Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quiet day before the next BIG snow!



Jan. 9, 2011 My second entry!
Thank you to everyone who read and commented on my very first blog yesterday! I do love my birdwatching. This morning the feeders were quiet but our pond was the happening place! The great blue heron was there for his breakfast. As were a ton of Canada geese and one kingfisher. These are all year round residents here but beautiful all the same. The great blue is extraordinary especially if he is camoflagued near the dock and takes off suddenly as Sierra, trusted Malamute, and I arrive at the lake with duck food. When startled, the great blue squawks incessantly as he spreads his magnificent wings and takes off to the tree tops. As gorgeous as he is, his voice is not so! His "gaks" and "gawks" sound like they should be coming from a bird much less elegant than a great blue. Over the next several days, he will have a difficult time finding food - poor fellow! They are calling for snow in varying amounts of 2 - 4 inches and we will finish that with a layer of ice! That should make life interesting!

My backyard feeders have seen a great deal of activity this afternoon with cardinals, tufted titmice , Carolina wrens and even Eastern bluebirds! What a treat it is to see them at the feeders! There were four sitting along the top of the fence all puffed up trying to keep warm and taking turns in the feeder while I leashed Na'vi, the bird stalking cat outside. I spiked my trail mix blend of bird seed with freeze dried mealworms. I hope the bluebirds enjoy that extra protein. Water bowls for the birds had to be melted this morning as well as our low was 14 here in the sunny South land! The cardinals in particular seem love the fresh water.
P.S. Na'vi's leash allows her only to view the birds -- not eat them!
Happy Birdwatching, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment